This is the perfect chilled soup for our hot Florida days.
- 2garlic cloves
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1cup walnuts
- 2slices of country bread (soak briefly in water and then wring out the water)
- 1/4cup olive oil
- 2cups yogurt (whole)
- 4small Persian cucumbers (or 1 English cucumber, peeled and seeded)
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 smallbunches dill or mint
- Crush the garlic and salt to a pulp, using either a mortar and pestle or the side of a large knife. Reserve a few walnuts. Using a food processor (or a mortar and pestle, if you want), briefly pulse the rest of the walnuts and then the bread. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add a couple tablespoons of olive oil to the paste and then all the yogurt, whisking well. Add the lemon juice. Grate and add the cucumbers.
- Let cool in the fridge for an hour or more, if you have it, and then add enough very cold water to make it into a spoonable soup. Chop the reserved walnuts and use for a garnish, along with the dill or mint, some lemon wedges and the olive oil.