TALLAHASSEE, Fla.—Attorney General Ashley Moody today released the following statement on the suspension of Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel:
“There is ample support in the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School Public Safety Commission Report to remove Sheriff Scott Israel. This includes:
– A lack of training in responding to active shooter situations, even after the Ft. Lauderdale Airport shooting;
– A lack of attention to resources, which caused the BSO radio system to fail at a critical point;
– A failure to quickly establish a command post and to take control of coordinating the tactical response;
– A lack of coordination with other responding agencies; and
– The failure of multiple officers who encountered the assailant before this incident, but failed to follow up on his clear mental health issues and violent tendencies.
“It is time for new leadership to implement the Commission’s recommendations and I fully support Governor DeSantis’s decision to suspend Sheriff Israel.”